Weird Problem

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Jun 27 20:23:56 UTC 2001

At 1:32 PM -0400 6/27/01, Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. wrote:

>                      When doing via IP it returns the hostname in caps for
>  whatever reason.  The client in question here is NT4.  This problem seems be
>  consistent across NT 4 clients. When I lookup on some W2K clients, I don't
>  see this behavior.  When I look at the zone file the host is in lowercase.

	This is almost certainly a resolver issue, since you see the same
behaviour on all NT4 clients, and not on W2k clients (nor in the zone
files).  However, I don't know that there's anything you can do to
fix this problem.  You'd be best off asking this question again on an
NT4 or W2k-related newsgroup or mailing list.

>  I'm kinda baffled by this one but I'm still of the opinion that an
>  application shouldn't be dependent on the case of a hostname.  Running third
>  party dns(bind 8.2.2P7 equivalent) on primary and 8.2.3 on secondaries.  Has
>  anyone see this behavior before? Any insight would be appreciated

	BIND 8.2.2-P7 has known security holes, and should be upgrade
ASAP to at least 8.2.4 (the latest release of BIND 8), or preferably
BIND 9.1.2-REL or the latest release candidate for 9.1.3.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */