BIND sometimes doesnt return additional recs when querying SOA ?

Anthony Golia Anthony.Golia at morganstanley.com
Wed Jun 27 20:21:02 UTC 2001

Hi.  I have a BIND 8.2.3 internal DNS server authoritive for
mydomain.com (e.g.) and when I query SOA for mydomain.com it returns
additional recs like NS and A rec.  but If I query a subdomain it doesnt
return the A/NS recs.

somehost /ms/user/g/goliaa 10# dig @somehost.mydomain.com. mydomain.com.
soa

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @somehost.mydomain.com. mydomain.com. soa
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      mydomain.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mydomain.com.                   30M IN SOA      somehost.mydomain.com.
hostmaster.mydomain.com. (
                                        993670471       ; serial
                                        10M             ; refresh
                                        1M              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        30M )           ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mydomain.com.                   30M IN NS       somehost.mydomain.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
somehost.mydomain.com.    30M IN A        10.10.193.90

;; Total query time: 3 msec
;; FROM: somehost to SERVER: somehost.mydomain.com.  10.10.193.90
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 27 16:09:11 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 24  rcvd: 115

somehost /ms/user/g/goliaa 11# dig @somehost.mydomain.com.
foo.mydomain.com. soa

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @somehost.mydomain.com. foo.mydomain.com. soa
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      foo.mydomain.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mydomain.com.                   30M IN SOA      somehost.mydomain.com.
hostmaster.mydomain.com. (
                                        993670471       ; serial
                                        10M             ; refresh
                                        1M              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        30M )           ; minimum

;; Total query time: 2 msec
;; FROM: somehost to SERVER: somehost.mydomain.com.  10.10.193.90
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 27 16:09:19 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 28  rcvd: 89

I'm interested in this 'cause Win2K seems to be choking on it.  I have
stub zones for _msdcs.mydomain.com, etc. and Win2K machines are querying
SOA for subdomains of mydomain.com and BIND isnt returning the
additional recs for 'em.  FYI: if I query a Win2K DNS server for
subdomains of a domain it's auth for (even one that doesnt exist) it
returns the additional recs.  Any response is appreciated.

--
Anthony