advice for freebsd

Chris Pile cpile at snoogans.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 08:36:42 UTC 2001

You seem to be trying lots of different things at once and this is
causing the problems.  I can't imagine it is a specific problem with
FreeBSD, more likely just the configuration of the systems and software
you are running.

I'd personally have one dedicated machine running your firewall (ipfw?),
get that up and running first using ipfw's NAT (2 NICs).  All clients
use this as the gateway.  Then start setting up a server for DHCP&BIND
etc.  Get that working (one service at a time) on your internal LAN.
I'd maybe have one server dedicated to running apache, since if this is
external facing it's more likely to get attention from crackers etc.
Once each service is up and running, you can use ipfw's port
forwarding/diverts to allow external access to your internal web server
etc.

But then this isn't really the place to discuss this kind of thing
(being a BIND mailing list).  Try a sysadmin list or similar as Brad
suggested.

Thanks,
Chris.