Use of DNS servers

Forrest Aldrich forrie at navipath.com
Thu Jun 28 15:31:14 UTC 2001

We noticed recently that one of our PoP DNS servers was getting an
unusually high load of traffic.

Upon further investigation, we discovered that other people (even
competitors) were utilizing our DNS servers to perform regular
queries.   Some of these people were never customers of ours, and simply
wouldn't have known about the DNS server being there, unless through some
other means.

We do deny draft-manning-dsua-03 updates on some of our servers; this one
we weren't for some reason.

So, before we draw conclusions about this usage, I'm wondering if someone
can shed some light on how this might occur, and perhaps what other people
have done about it.

At this point, we dropped in ACLs in named.conf.  We will next drop in some
packet filters.

Thanks.