bind 9.1.3rc2 has been failed

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Thu Jun 28 17:47:42 UTC 2001

Piotr Kasztelowicz wrote:

[snip]
> Jun 27 22:01:40 sun /usr/local/sbin/named[15892]: loading configuration from '/e
> tc/named.conf'
> Jun 27 22:01:40 sun /usr/local/sbin/named[15892]: /etc/named.conf:27: syntax err
> or near size
> Jun 27 22:01:40 sun /usr/local/sbin/named[15892]: loading configuration: failure
> Jun 27 22:01:40 sun /usr/local/sbin/named[15892]: exiting (due to fatal error)

You are correct in looking for the error at or near line 27 in
named.conf.

---------- Delete the ';' --------------------------------------^
>                                 size 100000;   };
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the proper syntax for 'file' looks like this, note that the version and
size options are part of the statement.

    file "/var/log/named/security.log" versions 2 size 2m;

>                          category default { logdns; };
>                          category config { null; };
>                          category parser { null; };
>                          category queries { null; };
>                          category update { logdns; };
>                          category xfer-out { logdns; };
>                          category xfer-in { logdns; };
>                          category db { null; };
>                          category eventlib { null; };
>                          category packet { null; };
>
> the error is on line wich is marked by me with ^^^^^^

Thank you for including both the log messages and the config file.  It
make it possible to help.

Regards,
Jim