Syncronise master and slave nameservers?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jun 29 17:12:05 UTC 2001

At 4:53 AM -0700 6/29/01, Henrik Malmgren wrote:

>  I wonder if there is a tool or something that checks if the master and
>  slave nameserver files are syncroniced, so if the slave can't do a
>  transfer (maybe after an edit with bad entry), the tool finds the
>  unsynced files.

	Most DNS debugging tools will check the SOA serial number of the
primary and the secondaries, and compare them to see if they are the
same.

	However, to compare the actual contents to see if they are the
same, you would need to pull a copy of the entire zone from each
machine, put the records in some sort of canonical order, ensure that
the SOA serial number hasn't changed on any of them during the period
of time you're downloading the various different copies, and then do
an actual comparison of the resulting files.

	I don't know of anyone that has yet bothered to write a DNS
debugging tool that goes to this kind of length.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */