Warren's wildcard DNS setup for the .com TLD

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Sat Jun 30 21:51:25 UTC 2001

I believe that my organization may have been clobbered by this setup last week.
It took about six hours to track down servers with the invalid information and
clear their cache.

To prevent this situation, Paul made the suggestion that BIND could be setup
such that DNS information wouldn't be dessiminated if "at least one of the
server's IP addresses can't be found in the NS glue".  How would this proposal
be affected by DNS forwarding?

My situation is that DNS queries must be forwarded to an NT server (corporate
policy to insure that private DNS information is available).  By dumping the
cache on my BIND servers because of this problem, none of the corrupt DNS
information had any glue records associated with it at all.  Originally I
thought that this was an indicator for this problem, but there was numerous
other zone information available, apparently valid, that also had no glue.
(When I am refering to "glue" I mean the IP addresses for the name servers for
the zone, but also the "NS" records themselves.  I normally think of "glue" as
just the "A" records for the identified name servers.)

Is this situation with forwarding limited to forwarding to NT servers, or is
this how BIND also functions?  If the lack of NS records for zone information
obtained by forwarding is inherent with forwarding, would this proposal help in
a situation where there is no glue (NS records and A records) for a zone?

Bill Larson