cname quick question

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu Mar 1 01:24:42 UTC 2001

At 11:43 AM +1100 3/1/01, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
>> 2 - No you can't expect companies with real network infrastructures to 'tell
>> you' when their IP addresses change.  That's ridiculous.  Especially if the
>> firm has 10,000+ users.
>
>	Since we are talking about host companies providing a
>	service to another company and that said host companies
>	should know that the only way there customers can legally
>	redirect taffic to there servers is by adding A records
>	(they are aware of the virtual hostnames and are aware or
>	should be aware of the registry restictions) yes I can and
>	do expect them to inform their customers when the address
>	changes.  I also expect them to perform the change such
>	that there is not a flag day where all the DNS entries must
>	be changed but for there to be a period of overlap.

www.companyname.com   IN CNAME www.companyname.akadns.net

How, exactly, would you A record that in the domain root?

Instead, I would recommend a single A record pointing to a web server who
302's consistently to www.companyname.com.

Note that I don't disagree with you at all on the CNAME decision, just to
state that pointing the finger at $ISP saying they should keep you in the
loop on A records all the time is non-trivial and often counterproductive.