FW: bind9 questions

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Mar 1 17:44:00 UTC 2001

	After starting bind without yet having rndc working, I
always got

>rndc: connect: connection refused

because named didn't yet know about any keys of any kind.  After
using named-checkconf to get all the syntax errors out of the
named.conf file and after modifying /etc/rndc.conf with the key
statements, I completely killed named with

kill `cat /var/run/named.pid`

and watched the death certificate print out in the log.  (taps, please.)

	Then, I started named again so I knew exactly that it had
read the current /etc/named.conf file.  Be sure to watch your
log, also to make sure it is happy.  Now try the rndc command and
see if your error at least changes or, if you got it right, the
command succeeds.

	rndc is looking for a specific type of dialog with named
which isn't playing along.  If your error changes to some
complaint about the key, then you know you are further than you
were.  When I had a typo that made it look as if I was looking
for a different key than was actually there, I got

rndc reload
rndc: send remote authenticator: not found

	After using an 8-bit key for testing purposes, I got rndc
to run after fixing the typo and named did run, but it also
printed a warning in the log that the key was not big enough to
be secure so you might get a warning like that with a null
string.

	I have not looked at the code, but I think that rndc uses
a certain port to talk to named and the "connection refused"
message means that "I don't speak that language."

	Also, of course, I mean that you run rndc with some
function such as reload or else you will just get the help
message.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group