setting up my own DNS nameserver

Tal Dayan tal at zapta.com
Thu Mar 1 23:59:10 UTC 2001

(this is based on my short experience as a DNS 'administrator' by no mean I
am an expert).

First need to register the server once so it is recognizes
as a name server at http://www.internic.net/whois.html. This registration
can be done
by a registrar. For example, if you use register.com you can do it yourself
through their user interface.

Note that you need to register the server only once and that the name that
you register it
under has nothing to do with the domains you are going to serve. You can
pick one of your domain name and register it under that name it should work
(e.g. ns1.mycomain.com).

If you have problem doing this, there is a workaround. Pick a secondary DNS
service (e.g. easydns.com) and for 10-20$ per year (per domain? I am not
sure), they will provide you with
secondary DNS service that will replicate and serve your domains. Their
servers are already registers so use your server as a central depository for
the latest zones files and let them replicate and serve them.

Tal

http://home.com/faster