"QIP" - product as an assistant for IP-Management : "good or not" ?!?

Ian Watts ian at radix.net
Fri Mar 2 20:37:17 UTC 2001

I just set up a demo version of QIP on a Solaris box.  It appears to be a
powerful but cumbersome tool.  It would be most useful, I think, for
managing a distributed corporate network with a combination of DNS and
DHCP.

I personally hate it and would rather use my own tools for all of my DNS
and IP management needs.  Another important consideration is that the QIP
license is based on the number of IP addresses you use and costs several
dollars per IP address.

Speaking of "Stone Age" and "State of the Art", Perl is the way of the
future!  Although due for a new release soon, QIP is based on BIND 8.1.2
and is not yet supported on Solaris 8.

-- Ian