"not at top of zone" in BIND9: what the heck?

David Tonhofer david.tonhofer at synapse.lu
Sat Mar 3 01:53:46 UTC 2001

Sorry to be even more bother...
...I must be missing something generously obvious.

I'm trying to set up a subdomain "dmz.synapse.lu" as a 10.0.0.0
private network on a DNS which is *also* the secondary DNS
of a publicly visible network. So we have the not unusual:

  ---- 194.154.217.224 ---- SERVER ---- 10.0.0.0 -----
       (on Ethernet 1)      BIND 9   (on Ethernet 2)

I succeeded in setting up the forward name resolution for
10.0.0.0, no problem.

However, in-addr.arpa. name resolution has given me red-rimmed
eyes. Whenever I 'reload' the namerver I get

-------------
dns_master_load: named.dmz.rev:10: not at top of zone
named[526]: dns_zone_load: zone 10.in-addr.arpa/IN:
-------------

...which of course means that will I please put a single SOA into
the file and at the top too. Problem is, I did. Here's the file:

-------------------
$TTL 28800
0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.            IN      SOA     mithras.dmz.synapse.lu.
dnsadmin.synapse.lu. (
                                2001030309 ; serial
                                28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
                                7200       ; retry (2 hours)
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                86400      ; minimum (1 day)
                                )
0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.            IN      NS      mithras.dmz.synapse.lu.

So you see I have already removed all the PTR records, even
tried to remove the NS record to no avail. If you get me a
clue-injection I would be very grateful (and I checked the
archives, too). Note that I tried 10.in-addr.arpa. too.

				-- David Tonhofer