FQDNs in masters-list (was: Help: Secondary for...)

Andreas S. Oesterhelt oes at oesterhelt.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 4 14:44:55 UTC 2001

Hello,

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Andreas Oesterhelt wrote:
>
> > Does this mean that it is generally not possible with bind8 to
> > set up a secondary NS for a dynamically addressed primary?
>
> Correct.

Given that there are some legitimate uses for such setups, I think
the ISC should consider supporting FQDNs in masters-lists, especially
since this would also add flexibility to non-dynamic setups.

In any case where the master doesn't reside in the namespace that
it provides, it would IMHO be a Good Thing to be able to refer to
it by name, since this would make the slave configuration indepandant
of master IP address changes (which I assume to be more likely /
frequent than name changes).

> I'm sure at least part of the reason for using IP addresses
> instead of names is to avoid a "chicken-and-egg" situation, where the
> name of the master is *in* the zone -- in that case the slave may become
> permanently unable to find the master if its address changes.

Agreed, but as with any other ascpect of DNS configuration, the
administrator should know what he's doing. I don't think that
just because it could be used improperly is a good reason not
to provide a certain feature.

What do you think? Should I propose this to bind-suggest at isc.org?

Regards,
--Andreas

P.S.: Sorry for the missing In-Reply-To: header.