PTR record handling in a subnetted network

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 6 03:13:48 UTC 2001

>That's because it's allowed under the sections I quoted.

I understand and noticed that :)

My question was why anyone would want to go to the trouble of
    . the ISP's delegating another zone
and . requiring another zone for the end-user to manage

All the discussions seem to focus on this delegation some sub-zone of
z.y.x.in-addr.arpa. , rather than simply using CNAMEs into the
already-existing forward zone.

What I was saying is that the latter seems to me to be a better and
simpler solution and no one has said differently or given any drawbacks
to this solution.  If the advantages are there and there aren't any
drawbacks, then why isn't this solution promulgated more on this list?

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511