Reverse Lookup Problem: Bind 9.1.1 rc3 Solaris 8

Sabrina Fallorina sabrina_fallorina at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:34:26 UTC 2001

Hi all,

I installed BIND 9.1.1 rc3 on a Solaris 8 machine. This is our new DNS
server. Right now, we are only providing DNS for one mail server until we
get this working right. Afterwards, we will move all our other machines to
our new DNS.

Our old DNS server is running 8.2.2 P5 on Solaris 7.  The domainname is
gsf.mocap.xxx. Our new domainname is uescp.mocap.xxx on the server raven.
The one mail server is named hi (for hawaii).

We belong to a top domain at the mocap.xxx level (as far as I understand)
The DNS mgr at mocap says we aren't really providing our own DNS, but
whenever our DNS server is down, we can't get out to the www and we can't do
reverse lookups.

He said he is going to put an NS record for raven.uescp.mocap.xxx in his
machine and an entry in his reverse file. This was yesterday.

Our problem today is, we still cannot do reverse lookups from our new
server. I can't figure out what is wrong because I don't have any errors in
my /var/adm/messages file. Is there another place I can look for errors or
can someone tell me how to set up an error log or is the /var/adm/messages
file good enough? Do I have to wait for the DNS mgr's entries to propagate?

I read the Bind 9 arm manual. Most of the literature I've read is written
assuming you can put all the pieces of the puzzle together. It is all
encompassing and I'm having a hard time applying it to my specific problem.
This is the second time I've ever done this, so please forgive my
inexperience. My first time building a DNS server was on 9.1.0 on our
classified network. It works just fine. I don't know what's the problem on
the unclassified side. Please help. ~ Sabrina