excessive notify traffic (8.2.3)

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Wed Mar 7 00:14:30 UTC 2001

At 11:30 AM 3/6/2001 -0600, Craig R. Bina wrote:

>I recently migrated our DNS from an old SunOS box to a new
>Debian box.  All seems to work fine, except that the primary
>sends out NOTIFY messages about every 10 seconds for the 3
>zones for which it is master.  Any ideas what might be wrong?

I had the same experience upgrading to 8.2.3.  If I had two servers, a master and a slave, and they both ran 8.2.3, the notify traffic eventually died off.

If I had some offsite slaves, another master where the data was manually synched, etc., the notify traffic just kept on coming.  If there was a server which wasn't taking the notifies and hadn't yet gotten a matching serial but which was responding to the notifies it seems to triggernever ending notifies.  But even when serials matched, there would still be notifys.

This got to the point where there were thousands and thousands of logged messages regarding notify.

Something is seriously wrong with notify, what I did was set "notify no" in the affected domains.

If there is a reason for the notifies, like some soft of mismatch triggering another notify cycle, the messages don't give the information you need to fix it.

I consider this a serious problem.  I wish I knew what to do about it.
--
We will fight for bovine freedom, And hold our large heads high.
We will run free, with the buffalo or die! Cows with Guns.
Nick Simicich mailto:njs at scifi.squawk.com
http://scifi.squawk.com/njs.html -- Stop by and Light Up The World!