Slave won't update with BIND 8.2.3 on NT
mayer at gis.net
Wed Mar 7 04:06:18 UTC 2001
At 09:19 PM 3/6/01, Tim Madden wrote:
>I've just set up my first slave server, but named-xfer won't complete
>when called by named. I can manually run named-xfer and it will pull in
>the zone. I didn't use the default directory structure, so I wonder if
>that's part of the problem? When named calls named-xfer, I can watch it
>start and stop in Task Manager.
Not related. It really doesn't care as long as it can read and write to the directory.
>After each failure, named-xfer strands the following files in my C:\BIND
>where 000044 changes, I assume, with the PID for each failed named-xfer.
>The first two files are empty, but the xfer.ddt.xxxx file contains:
>domain `aspenresearchgroup.com'; file `db.aspenresearchgroup.com.dom';
>domain `aspenresearchgroup.com'; ixfrfile
>`db.aspenresearchgroup.com.dom.ixfr.tmp'; serial 0
These are standard temporary files that I created by the transfer. They are left
behind because of the transfer failure.
>I've successfully used the command line:
>c:\bind> bin\named-xfer -z aspenresearchgroup.com -f
>db.aspenresearchgroup.com.dom -s 0 192.168.50.16
>I've also successfully transferred the zone with -s 2001030602 (the
>master's ser# is 2001030604)
These transfers don't check the zone contents. What does the application
event log tell you. You should see record errors logged there.
Since your master for the domain is in a private subnet I can't check, but
I bet you have a CNAME at the root of the zone. If so, you need to get rid of it
as it's illegal and will prevent the slave from loading the zone.
More information about the bind-users