excessive notify traffic (8.2.3)

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Wed Mar 7 04:08:54 UTC 2001

At 01:11 PM 3/7/2001 +1100, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

>	What errors are you logging.  A NOTIFY is triggered by loading
>	the zone or the heartbeat timer going off and the zone being
>	a dialup zone.

None of the above apply.  The notifies are coming way too fast and furious for that.  Like, hundreds an hour.  Logging no errors, doing nothing but passing notifies and responses to notifies around.  All I was logging was notify sent, response to notify received, notify sent, response to notify received.  etc.  As I noted in my last message about this, I'd have all the serials in a zone matching and I'd still be getting these notify storms.

>	My bet is that you have lots of expired children of the zones
>	in question or there is a load failures on a child zone causing
>	the server to reload the parent zone.

How much do you want to bet?  You lose, in my case. I was getting these on squawk.com which has no child zones.   This is a bug.  I was getting them on labed.com which has no child zones, had all the serials matching, I was getting no load messages or other error messages from my servers and I was still sending out notifies over and over and over again - they are not defined as dialup zones on the master.

--
We will fight for bovine freedom, And hold our large heads high.
We will run free, with the buffalo or die! Cows with Guns.
Nick Simicich mailto:njs at scifi.squawk.com
http://scifi.squawk.com/njs.html -- Stop by and Light Up The World!