cname quick question

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Mar 8 10:33:42 UTC 2001

    >> I don't think so. If the applications query a BIND9 server,
    >> DNAME just works:

    Brad> 	That's nice for BINDv9.  Do other nameservers cache
    Brad> the DNAME records and do all the same things (so that this
    Brad> works for everyone as soon as we upgrade just the advertised
    Brad> authoritative servers)

I doubt it. It's possible other name server implementations will cache
DNAMEs just like they'd cache any other RR type. But it's unlikely
they'd know what they were supposed to do with a DNAME. OTOH if those
servers query a BIND9 server which has the DNAME, the BIND9 server
should do the right thing for them. I don't think the DNAME ignorance
of other server implementation should matter. To get a DNAME entered
in the DNS pretty much means loading the zone containing the DNAME on
a BIND9 server anyway.

    Brad> Unfortunately, my understanding of DNAMEs is basically nil.
    Brad> Can you point me at an RFC that explains them in more
    Brad> detail?

RFC2672: Non-Terminal DNS Name Redirection