cname quick question

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Mar 8 10:52:47 UTC 2001

% At 9:22 AM +0000 3/8/01, Jim Reid wrote:
%
% >  I don't think so. If the applications query a BIND9 server, DNAME just
% >  works:
%
% 	That's nice for BINDv9.  Do other nameservers cache the DNAME
% records and do all the same things (so that this works for everyone
% as soon as we upgrade just the advertised authoritative servers), or
% does this only work when the local and remote servers are both
% running BINDv9 (in which case we basically have to wait until such
% time as everyone has made the upgrade)?

	Earlier versions of BIND have "binary" failure modes when
	presented with unknown RR types. For DNAME to "work" all the
	relevent server code has to understand them.

% Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles at skynet.be>

--bill