FreeBSD 3.3-R and BIND 8.2.3

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Mar 8 21:55:54 UTC 2001

    >> I have searched the archives for this and can't really find
    >> anything but let me know if I have missed something. I have two
    >> FreeBSD boxes both running 3.3-R and their only task is to
    >> serve about 100 zones.  One is the primary and one is the
    >> slave. My problem is that named chews up as much memory as I
    >> will let it have and then when it reaches that limit it dumps
    >> core with the dubious memget errors and sometimes it produces
    >> this message right before it dumps:

    >> /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space

    peter> Sounds that you need more memory

Probably not. I'd be more inclined to suspect the original poster is
running old DNS code that leaks memory. Or maybe they have absurdly
large zone files? It's possible but unlikely that the box is being
bombarded with so many queries that the cache grows very big very
quickly. This should only happen on really busy name servers: like
those at a big ISP.