FQDNs in masters-list (was: Help: Secondary for...)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 8 23:07:24 UTC 2001

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 3:01 PM -0500 3/8/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
> >  It [i.e. signed NOTIFYs] solves the problem of slave auto-configuration if
> everything (other
> >  than the address of the master server in the "roving master" scenario
> >  we've been discussing) can be "templated", i.e. those values are constant
> >  for all slave zones, or can be derived using some local conventions.
> >  This is appropriate for many situations where the slaves are *pure*
> >  slaves, i.e. no master zones except perhaps for loopback, with no
> >  server- or location-specific configuration.
>
>         Can you give me an example of this sort of thing?  All the
> examples I can think of are situations where some bozo has an ADSL
> account with an IP address dynamically assigned to him, he wants to
> run his own domain out of his own home, but obviously the IP address
> for his domain, his web server(s), and his nameserver(s) is
> constantly changing.

I'm approaching this as a general solution for slave auto-configuration, not just
a solution for the "roving master" situation, which, as you point out, is
relatively rare today, and perhaps not even legitimate. The fact that this form of
slave auto-configuration *also* accommodates "roving master"s is just an
additional capability; one which can be viewed as either a benefit or a drawback,
depending on one's opinion of the whole "roving master" concept.