"bad referral" error

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Mon Mar 12 15:06:25 UTC 2001

Check the bind error messages at:
http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/bind-messages.htm

Here is what it says.

bad referral (state.il.us !<  SOS.STATE.IL.US)
CATEGORY: response-checks
SEVERITY: info
PAGE:
FURTHER INFO:

Indicates that while querying the SOS.STATE.IL.US name servers, your
name server was referred
to the state.il.us name servers.Since a referral should always point to
name servers
authoritative for descendant zones, this is an error.The name server
that sent the referral is
probably misconfigured, and not authoritative for the zone delegated to
it.