Classless Reverse zones

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Mar 15 02:27:28 UTC 2001

	Classless IN-ADDR using CNAMES is for cases where you can't
	use classic delegation techniques and don't what to delegate
	each individual reverse address.  It really shouldn't be
	used for /0-/24.

> Has anyone created a zone with a 22 bit (or less) mask and $GENERATE?

	Yes. You use 4 $GENERATE statements.

> I can't seem to get it to work and all the other examples I've found are for
> subsetting a class C subnet.

	That's what it was designed for.

> For example with a 22 bit mask do you have 4 NS recs in the parent domain?

	Normally it's 4 consecutive, bit aligned, NS RRsets.

> This is all for internal DNS setup not connected with the internet at all
> and we're getting lots of these subnets being used for dynamic updates, and
> I'm trying to work out a way of reducing the number of zones.

	I think you have enough information to do that if you still
	want to.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.