Classless Reverse zones

Andreas S. Oesterhelt oes at oesterhelt.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 16 11:04:47 UTC 2001

Bob Vance writes:

> Thanks for the reply, but it did nothing to advance my understanding of
> what you mean by bit aligned :|

2^n consecutive numbers are bit aligned, if their binary
representations differ only in the last n bits.

> And I don't know how it relates to the original question.

Since you have a 22 bit network but the in-addr.arpa zone is
organzied by byte boundaries, the four reverse lookup zones
that you need will have bit-aligned names, (and thus bit aligned
NS RRs in the parent zone) as the first 22 bits must be equal in order
to be maskeable with a 22 bit mask.

Best regards,
--Andreas