Classless Reverse zones

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 16 15:47:18 UTC 2001

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

It's amazing.  I've been networking for years and understand prefixes
and CIDR, but I've just never heard (at least I don't remember :) the
term "bit alignment" before, even though understanding and using the
concept !
Of course I don't deal with CIDR daily -- maybe it's a common term in
those circles dealing with address aggregation and route summarization.

>If the numbers are not bit aligned, they don't share a common
>prefix and thus can't be supernetted by shifting the netmask
>to the left.

Right, but I think that that really had nothing to do with the DNS issue
at hand except that this was the set of numbers that had to be delegated
individually for a given prefix.  In fact, in this case, we weren't
"supernetting" at all (network 10), if we want to use that term and make
a distinction between it and subnetting.
Hmmm.  Well, OK.  I guess since the issue arose out of having a split
3rd octet and things work better at the natural /24 boundary, then, yes,
we *were* supernetting with respect to /24 :)

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511