resolve-problems after transfering the domain to other ns servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Mar 17 00:51:45 UTC 2001

Roland Dworschak wrote:

> The domain 'stadlbauer.at' was registered at 'ns1.salzburg-online.at'. Like
> three weeks ago we updated the domain at ripe to our nameservers
> ns1.i-sp.com (194.163.14.1) and ns2.i-sp.com (194.163.14.2). Usually we
> register new domains to ns1.i-sp.isa.at (194.163.14.1) and ns2.i-sp.isa.at
> (194.163.14.2), but both hostnames resolv to the correct ip, therefor we
> don't think that this's our problem.

Offhand, I don't see anything wrong here. All of the delegations seem to be in
place and correct, all of the relevant TLD servers seem to be in synch.

The only thing that occurs to me is that some nameservers may be timing out
trying to resolve the name, because the "com" TLD servers may not always
provide address records for a nameserver in the "at" TLD , e.g. the
nameservers for i-sp.com, since those wouldn't be considered glue records.
This is exacerbated by the fact that the TTL for all of the isa.at records
appears to be set to 5 minutes.

If this is the case, the best solution I can think of is to change the
delegations of i-sp.com to ns1.i-sp.com and ns2.i-sp.com. That will force the
"com" servers to provide the glue records, and maybe speed up the query
resolution enough to prevent timeouts...

- Kevin