nxdomain

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Mon Mar 19 21:50:58 UTC 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Christopher L. Barnard wrote:

> I am currently upgrading from bind 8.2.2patch7 to 9.1.0.  I am
> encountering a very perplexing bug (perplexing to me, anyway) and I am
> hoping someone can point me to the correct documentation.
>
> Under bind 8 and earlier, I was able to resolve partially qualified
> names. i.e., the name "foo.admin" could be resolved; it is really
> "foo.admin.cbot.com".  Under Bind 9, when I try to resolve "foo.admin"
> I get the error message "** server can't find foo.admin.: NXDOMAIN".
> I can resolve foo.admin.cbot.com, however.  I have not changed the
> named.conf files at all.
>
> My basic problem is that I cannot find any reference to NXDOMAIN.  If
> someone could point me to documentation that explains what NXDOMAIN
> is, I probably could figure out what is wrong.  At this point, I am
> stumped.

NXDOMAIN means no such domain or none existent domain. Meaning that your
nameserver can not find the name you specified.

Is your resolv.conf changed ? Did it have a "search" statement ? If you
specify for instance "search cbot.com", resolvers will use it to put it
after the specified hostname. (Works with nslookup, not with dig).

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum