Rev (Hidden Segment) Lookups in split environment

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 20 00:38:23 UTC 2001

Yes, you could achieve the same effect with allow-recursion, I suppose, but
I think there's a significant danger of messing up the allow-recursion ACL's
and accidentally allowing recursion. It's pretty hard to screw up "recursion
no", and that's why I described the multiple-instance scenario as "best
practice". In our case, we host our external DNS on firewalls, so it makes a
lot of sense for us to have a "private" (listening only to loopback and the
internal interface), recursive instance of named in addition to the "public",
non-recursive instance. Note that completely non-recursive nameserver
instances, since they never cache anything, tend not experience any growth in
memory usage over time.

- Kevin