gethostbyaddr

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 17:55:47 UTC 2001

Pat Nolan wrote:

> Mar 20 11:35:56 dwsearch12 nscd[164]: gethostbyaddr: qitek.com.tw. !=
> 202.52.99.203
>
> >From reading through the bind archives I see that this is because reverse
> dns is not configured properly.  Since this IP & domain name are not in my
> network why would I be seeing them at all?  Could this be a reverse DNS
> config problem on the other side (202.59.99.203)?

qitek.com.tw looks up to 202.52.99.201 so yes this appears to be their
problem.

Given 202.52.99.203 is probably the same company I don't think it is
sinister.

As to why your seeing it - well I assume something is checking that the
address looks up - mail or ftp servers?!

nscd implies perhaps a SUN - so are you running a SUN ftp daemon as they
often reverse lookup would be users - indeed out of the box they insist
on it.

--
Want to learn about Linux? Get it installed?
Devon and Cornwall LUG Event for UK Linux Day