Bind growth

Tom Nichols tomn at team.citx.net
Wed Mar 21 14:01:12 UTC 2001

We have three basic DNS servers (BSDI 4.2) running Bind 8.2, 8.2, and
9.1

The first is a primary, the other two are secondaries.

We experience growth on the secondaries.

To explain, running TOP on each system gives the following results:
(yesterday, today)

1st                     2nd                      3td
5104   4996             6116    6250             2480   2520
5104   4996             6440    6532             2736   2780

The first line is yesterday morning's data. The second, today. As you
can see, the primary is unchanged. That server hasn't been rebooted in
over 60 days. As a primary, we add to the DNS database and perform kill
-SIGHUP xxx on a daily basis.

The other two will dump named.core after a few days of run time.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: tomn.vcf
-- Desc: Card for Tom Nichols