help with classless network and reverse lookups

Bill Dossett postmaster at bill.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 15:27:44 UTC 2001

Thanks for the response... I'm a little unclear
about having the two zones...  probably becuase
I didn't clearly state that I don't own the network
addresses above my range of IP numbers, my ISP
does... so they need to configure the CNAME
portion, right?  And the reverse zone file I have
listed below is all I need for reverse name lookups
right?  As I only have 64 addresses... that's why I named
the file 193.243.235 rather than 193.243.235.0-26
because I won't have a 193.243.235.in-addr.arpa ...
my ISP does.  So I just named it 193.243.235 as it's
quicker to type in and I know I only have 64 addresses
and it won't conflict with any other files unless I get
a whole class C which I more than likely never will
as there are only 3 of us in the company .... In any
case, I contacted my ISP this morning, they did something,
and now it works, so I guess my files were right as
it's working now.

I didn't understand the last part of this response...
That I should "slave"  off of this zone... I'm not
really too up on slaving, I presume if I slave, I cache
the data from that zone and then I will still get reverse
name lookups to work localy if I become disconnected
for any reason... any chance someone could
show me what the entry in my named.conf would look like?
and then I'll go away :-)

Thanks

Bill