BIND and Webmin

JD Almand jahost at state.ga.us
Wed Mar 21 20:47:13 UTC 2001

Bill Manning wrote:

> % > My DNS & Bind book is all about editing conf files and
> % > I'm trying to avoid that if possible, especially since
> % > this Webmin interface seems so nifty.
> % > All suggestions are appreciated, and please remember,
> % > I'm a DNS newbie.
> % My experience, for what it's worth, is that you'd do best
> % to learn (and love) vi to edit BIND zone and conf files.
> %
> % I also tried Webmin to help non-Unix/Linux people to manage
> % BIND 9.1.0 zone and conf files, but found that it messed up
> % the zone files.
> %
> % The Cobalt graphical interface for BIND 8, on the other hand,
> % seems O.k.
> % Tony
>
>         FWTW, vi is one of my favorite things... :) And a well crafted
>         zone file is a thing of beauty... Nevertheless,

Absolutly true...

>         I have come to the conclusion that "Real Soon Now" we are
>         going to "encase" the DNS in epoxy and rivet a disclaimer
>         on the outside:
>
>         "No human serviceable parts inside"

And when that happens, the world will be a sader place.
IMHO there is nothing easier than vi.  People complain because its
"old tech.", or they just refuse to learn.
Little do they know that its finger power, that makes the world
go round, not a GUI or mouse interface.....
And they are kiding themself, if they forget the KISS method
of programming or doing anything worth while.

--

| "Wisdom begins when you discover the difference between |
|  'That doesn't make sense' and 'I don't understand.' "  |

 __.__ *Tech. & Zone Contact (-_-) for domain 'State.Ga.US.' __.__
 | / | James D Almand, (Doug)  -  (JDA-ARIN)                 | \ |
 | / |           EMAIL: <mailto:James_D.Almand at state.ga.us>  | \ |
 | / | State of Ga. - DOAS IT / Data Networking Unix Systems | \ |
 | / | 330 Capitol Ave. - 1st Bsmt.  Office: (404) 656-7320  | \ |
 |_/_| Atlanta, GA.  30334-9002                              |_\_|