nsupdate for soa / mx records

Bryan Hodgson bryan at verne.myxa.com
Wed Mar 21 23:36:18 UTC 2001

A new arrival to the list, folks.  If this one is in the archives, I
didn't find it after a modestly thorough search.

Compiled bind 9.1.1.rc5 on a Solaris 2.7 box, wanting to gain some
experience with how DDNS actually works, in practice, and planning to
(shortly) explore how (un-)well it works with w2k.

Noted the various caveats about manually editing the zone files, and
that's understandable ... but what would be the 'official' methodology
to use to update/alter the SOA refresh / retry / expire / ttl values?
Or to add / alter an MX record?

I've successfully run nsupdate to do these tasks; successful in the
sense that (with the debugger on) the return status was NOERROR ... but
I cannot detect that the zone data actually changed (e.g. via dig -t
axfr, for example.)  (Found it amusing that nsupdate swallowed "update
delete my.zone.com IN SOA" without complaint.)

Now I'm wondering if it's safe to manually edit zone-level RRs if named
is turned off.

Perfectly willing to follow pointers to documents discussing same.

TIA.

Bryan