BIND 8.2.3 verus 9.x.x ?? in production

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 22 10:02:11 UTC 2001

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 08:43:39PM +0000, Jim Reid wrote:

>     >> I agree with Kevin, but it has more to do with the 41,000
>     >> queries one of my servers took in 40 seconds last weekend than
>     >> anything.  :-)
>
> Broken desktops can be a real problem, eh? :-)
>
>     Brad> 	Ahh, but that's only a thousand queries a second.  I
>     Brad> had machines back in 1996 that could do that many.  ;-)
>
> Query rates of 1000+ per second are well up towards root name server
> levels. They shouldn't be seen in regular, well-behaved environments -
> even at huge ISPs.

Let's just say I have a customer with a penchant for reverse lookups he
doesn't need... and leave it at that.  14 web servers doing 40+ Mbs of
traffic can create a lot of in-addr.arpa lookups!  The application is
horribly misconfigured, but who am I to explain that to him when "his
last ISP handled it just fine"?  :-)  Gotta love it.

>     >> I also think calling it BIND 9 is a misnomer.  It's NIND
>     >> 1.1.1rc5, not BIND 9.1.1rc5.  (NIND = Nominum Internet Name
>     >> Daemon -- Berkeley's not really all that involved anymore, are
>     >> they?)
>
>     Brad> 	No, this is not at all correct.  BIND is an ISC
>     Brad> product, and Nominum's involvement is as the company that
>     Brad> has been contracted to write the code.  Therefore, this is
>     Brad> very much still BINDv9, since this is still an ISC project.
>
> Indeed. That's why all the BIND9 code has the ISC copyright: it's the
> ISC's intellectual property, not Nominum's. Anything we do that we own
> carries a Nominum copyright.

Well, the NIND was just a thought.  Obviously an incorrect one.  I like
your explanation below better than my rant.  :-)

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>