Making BIND 8.2.3 man pages work on Solaris 8
greg at capu.net
Thu Mar 22 22:22:28 UTC 2001
My real problem is that something went goofy with ndc during my upgrade to
8.2.3. However, I do not wish to burden anyone with such problems until I
have RTF(ndc)M. Problem is, my BIND man pages don't work. I know I could
read it online somewhere, the ndc man, but as a matter of principle, I
want to look at it on my server. Here are the particulars:
1. During compile time, I set DESTMAN to /usr/share/man. Never quite
understood why this variable is needed, since the man pages come with the
'doc' and not the 'src' tarball, but I did anyway.
2. Got all kinds of kooky make errors after trying to make the
bind/doc/man directory. Don't remember what they were.
3. I found two relevant postings about this in the archives:
Based on that info, I did the following:
- TROFFMACS=bind-8.2.3/src/doc/tmac/ ; export TROFFMACS
- edited tmac.andoc line to ".so /usr/shrae/lib/tmac/an"
- mv tmac.andoc andoc
- installed groff package
- per the Makefile's instructions, I made no edits to it
4. This gets me most of the way ther. However, during 'make all' it gets
caught up on hesiod.3:
hesiod.3 -> hesiod.lst3
nroff: can't open file /usr/share/tmac/tmac.an.old; line 17, file
make: *** [hesiod.lst3] Error 2
I expected this, after reading about the goofiness of hesiod man pages,
but not "tmac.an.old". What the heck is that? I can't find it anywhere. Do
I really need that to get further? Suppose I could just delete hesiod.3
but I'd rather see this work.
More information about the bind-users