CNAME TTL (fwd)

tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Fri Mar 23 03:08:27 UTC 2001

	*GROAN* - I was the one who orignally reported this
	problem to Microsoft.  The hotfix they provided my
	company with did not truly, in my opinion, fix
	the problem.  It simply brought them into compliance
	with RFC2181 which states that a TTL is the maximum
	time to live, and that implementations can cache at a
	value lower than the TTL if desired.  Now they cache both
	CNAME and A with the lower of the two TTLs.  They
	still disregard the actual TTL set by DNS administrators
	if the CNAME and A records have disparate TTLs.  In speaking
	with the authors of RFC2181, they agree that the only reason
	to cache CNAMEs and A's with the same TTL is lazy implementation.
	In any case, Microsoft has misquoted RFC2181 in this article by
	saying that the rfc defines that CNAMEs and their corresponding
	A's TTLs should be set at the lower of the two.  Nowhere in
	RFC 2181 is this stated.  CNAMES and their target A's do not
	form a RRset, so they do not *need* to have the same TTL.

-Tim