Load Increase After Migrating over to W2K

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:13:53 UTC 2001

We are in the process here of beginning our migration to W2K.  As the
migration proceeds along we anticipate a load increase on our DNS servers
since W2K machines are more dependent on DNS than WINS.  I was wondering
what kind of load increase people have been seeing as they have been
migrating.  Right now our current DNS Servers are relatively old and in the
process of being replaced.  We're looking to replace them with more current
SUN Sparc boxes running about 360 mhz, 512 MB RAM and sufficient disk space.
Do these replacement systems seem enough to handle any potential load
increase in the future?  Our DNS servers seem to be handling things just
fine now but we are expecting that load to increase over time.

Thanks,

Bill Smith
<mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
The Johns Hopkins University                    Washington DC: 240-228-5523
Applied Physics Laboratory                      MD: 443-778-5523
11100 Johns Hopkins Road                        Fax: 443-778-5727
Laurel, MD 20723-6099                           Web:
<http://www.jhuapl.edu/>