NS record question

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Mon Mar 26 12:16:19 UTC 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 HAG.Keijzer at mindef.nl wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Should I have NS records for a delegated zone even if the delegation is on
> the same nameserver? (needless to say it works fine without them, just
> wondering)
>
> example:
>
> ---
> db.mydomain.com
> @	IN SOA ns.mydomain.com root.mydomain.com ( ... )
> 	IN NS ns.mydomain.com.
> 	IN NS ns1.mydomain.com.
>
> zone1	IN NS ns.mydomain.com.		#	should these lines be here
> or not?
> zone1	IN NS ns2.mydomain.com		#
> ---

Hoi Gody,

In the parent zone, there _has_ to be delegation records for the child
zone in any scenario, they should be identical copy of the NS records in
the childs apex.

Needless to say, you probably have slave servers, not on the same
machine. Whenever a query for the child hits the slave, without delegation
records the resolver hangs in the blue.

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum