nsupdate records and writing to db files

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Mon Mar 26 12:27:55 UTC 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 HAG.Keijzer at mindef.nl wrote:

> Aloha DNS gurus
>
> If I use nsupdate to modify my DNS content, and shut down Named, it nicely
> shuts down and writes DB files with the records obtained from nsupdate.
>
> Question 1: Is there a possibility to force bind to write it's db files
> without stopping and starting it?
>
> Question 2: I noticed that Bind writes the TTL of the record too. if the TTL
> is say, 1 day, and i shut down named after 12 hours, it writes still 1day to
> the zonefile. When I start named again, it loads the zonefile again of
> course, but does this mean that the record gets again a TTL of a day? (which
> should mean that the TTL suddenly is 1.5 day). Not really sure what is
> happening exactly.

Hoi Gody,

TTL's served from a Master or Slave are alsways what is specified in zone
(or with dynamic update). The will never decrease. TTL's are only
decreased by caching servers.

If you specify 1 day TTL in an nsupdate, the primary master will always
serve them as 1 day TTL.

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum