FW: BIND 9 syntax error near '<quoted string>'

John Horne J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 14:55:55 UTC 2001

On 26-Mar-01 at 13:47:44 Przybycien, John wrote:
> Yes I'm specifying the configuration file from the command line and my
> nameservice is actually using "/etc/name.conf".  As stated in my original
> message, if I change the order of the options I get a different error
> based on the contents of line two.  So I know the service is using my
> name.conf file.  The oddity is that I can never get beyond line two.
> This is the first BIND version to ever give me a syntax error where non
> exist (as far as I can see).  I even used named-checkconf before I began
> and it found no errors.
>

>> options {
>>            directory "/etc";
>>            allow-transfer { none; };
>>            auth-nxdomain yes;
>>            };

If you can - as a test - try removing the 'allow-transfer' and
'auth-nxdomain'. they won't affect the name server starting as such, where as
you'll no doubt need the 'directory' statement. This may help pin-point which
statement is giving the actual problem. Try just:

  options { directory "/etc"; };

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk