What is an AA record?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Mon Mar 26 17:05:35 UTC 2001

%
% I've tried to find the answer to this in various FAQs but have been
% unsuccessful. What is an AA record?
%
% Cheers,
% Kingsley.
%

YeaHa!  a soapbox!.... :)

half of a AAAA record. The AAAA record is for mapping IPv6 addresses to
lables.  There is an alternative, the A6 record.  Within the IETF, there is
a small debate ongoing as to which RR to kill off. Reasonable arguments for
killing either exist. Some people are zelots for their particular view.
One could construct a view that the A6 record facilitates renumbering but
the DNS operational cost is high. (composite record synthesis is non-trival)
And there is scant support in the installed base for A6.
One could also construct the view that since AAAA support has been in BIND
since 4.9.6, and renumbering is an increasingly rare event (buying into the
NAT universe, even with IPv6) that we don't need to accept the operational
headache of A6 and the incumbent upgrade of most of the resolvers on the
planet.

Its a tough call.  I think I'm leaning toward the increased complexity of
A6.

--
--bill