Strange observation about .net.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 26 18:54:21 UTC 2001

The default query type for "nslookup" is "A". So if you do just "nslookup
<whatever.net>" you're actually asking for an A record owned by the name
<whatever.net>. There is no requirement that a domain own an A record. So it's not
really surprising that many of your lookups return no address. There should be no
difference between .net, .com or .org in this -- or really pretty much any --
regard.

-Kevin