Limiting BIND to authoritative domains only

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Tue Mar 27 16:00:03 UTC 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, syn uw wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know how I can limit my nameserver to only serve my domain
> names that I host on my network. That is I would like my nameserver to
> answer only to the authorative data. That's because I would like to avoid
> people using my nameserver as their DNS server for their internet connection
> and by the same time reducing the traffic going out my network.
>
> Best Regards,
> Marc Bigler

2 seperate issues:

If you want your server to answer queries to a restricted set of clients,
use: allow-query (see man named.conf).

If you want your server to answer for authoritative information only, and
give referrals to other info use: recursion no, fetch-glue no (see man
named.conf)

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum