can't exec /usr/sbin/named-xfer: Permission denied

Brian Elliott Finley brian at thefinleys.com
Tue Mar 27 16:12:23 UTC 2001

Thus spake Kevin Darcy (kcd at daimlerchrysler.com):

> Linux has a system-call tracer, doesn't it? "strace" or something like that? Fire that up to
> determine *exactly* what named is trying to execute.

I have run it (and named-xfer) successfully by hand.  The problem is
trying to get named to invoke strace when it automatically invokes
named-xfer.

This is actually a very interesting point:
o named-xfer by hand works
o named-xfer invoked by named does not

What could be different about how named-xfer is invoked automatically?
The arguments I'm using when running it manually (yes chrooted in the
same way) are arguments I've taken from a properly running named-xfer
invoked by named (as seen through ps -auxwww).

-Brian