Installing BIND 9's MAN pages

Lisa Burke lburke at once.com
Tue Mar 27 18:13:29 UTC 2001

I have been successful in installing BIND 9.1.0 (on Solaris 7), but have had
problems integrating the accompanying man pages.  I know this isn't a forum
for teaching about installing man pages, but I've seen man posting about
this and no "eureka! that's it!" answers.  I'll use the dig file (dig.1) as
example.  Here is a much condensed list of what I've tried:

1) I've copied the dig.1 file from ~bind-9.1.0/doc/man/bin into
/usr/share/man/man1.  From what I've read on this mailing list, it's
supposed to be formatted already.

2) I've verified that /usr/share is in my MANPATH.

3) I've run 'catman' with no flags.

I get:

# man dig
No manual entry for dig.

And when I execute 'man -F dig' I get what looks like an un-formatted
version of the file:

---snip---
# man -F dig
(domain information groper) is a flexible tool for  interrogating
DNS  name  servers.   It  performs  DNS  lookups and displays the
answers that are returned  from  the  name  server(s)  that  were
queried.   Most  DNS administrators use to troubleshoot DNS prob-
lems because of its flexibility, ease of use and clarity of  out-
---snip---

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Lisa Burke