NS record question

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Tue Mar 27 18:28:42 UTC 2001

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 9:27 PM -0800 3/26/01, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >         First off, while there have been security issues in the past with
> >  bind 8 code (and may be again in the future) for the most part the code is
> >  in fairly good shape. Yes, it's ugly in places, but it's got collectively
> >  millions of hours of operational experience, and has had lots of eyes on
> >  it, black hats and white.
>
>         Indeed, it has had a lot of people looking at it, and all of the
> ones I know of that have looked at it have found it extremely
> unpleasant.  There's dreckage and bletchery in there going back to
> the original undergraduate work done on BIND, long before Paul Vixie
> got involved, etc....

	Blah blah blah. I'm actually pretty tired of this argument. I realize that
bind 8 has some ugly spots, but it's still the bugs we know, vs. the bugs
we don't know in bind 9. I'm also a little suspicious of all the people who
claim that there is this or that present in the bind 8 source, but haven't
actually submitted any fixes.

>         Indeed, with the newer features added to BIND 8 (e.g., DNSSEC,
> etc...), those would seem to be far less secure, less fully
> implemented, and overall just less fully "cooked" than their
> implementations in BINDv9 -- even in 9.1.0, much less the latest
> release candidate for 9.1.1.

	Ummm... how do you make the leap of logic that says that new features
added to a new code base are better or more stable than new features added
to an established code base? My point earlier was that both code bases have
their own unique problems.

>         Yes, there may be some remaining issues that BINDv9 has with
> regards to scaling and suitability for use in the largest possible
> environments (e.g., as a root nameserver), but for anything short of
> that kind of environment, the new "programming by contract" model,
> etc... should make the code more inherently secure, and overall much,
> much more robust.

	Once again, I have nothing but respect for the people at nominum, and the
herculean task that faces them. However, as I pointed out previously the
migration path still has too many hurdles (and unseen pitfalls) for most
people, IMO. I would feel a lot better about it if someone at nominum was
willing to be a little more flexible in terms of listening to the concerns
already voiced in this area, but c'est la vie. Also, the mere fact that
most of the code in bind 9 is produced "by contract," doesn't really enter
into this discussion. I am a proffesional programmer and I know the
problems associated with this kind of project. Thus my concerns.

>         No, it's about time that people start making the upgrade, and
> cutting off all further development on BIND 8 (save bug fixes) is
> obviously going to be the only way to encourage them to do exactly
> that.

	On this point I agree with you. However I don't see any point in
encouraging people to upgrade exclusively for the purpose of getting them
to use bind 9. Since this entire e-mail basically restated points made
previously, I think I'll leave it at that.

Doug
--
    Perhaps the greatest damage the American system of education has done
    to its children is to teach them that their opinions are relevant