NS record question

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 27 21:23:16 UTC 2001

>Don't believe everything you hear. $GENERATE has been supported from the
>first 9.1.0 beta.

I said BIND9 not 9.1.x.
It was right there in the README file, so I didn't go any further for a long
while.

>Amazing, you did not test it. I'm sorry, but how can you agree with Doug
>on this, without having hands-on experience with BIND 9. Now I understand
>his point of view, not that I agree with his view.

It's very easy.  I didn't have the time to test it for you.  From what I was
reading on the list, BIND9 had so many issues, I just wasn't in the mood to
play with it.  Others, fortunately for you, are.
So what I'm agreeing with Doug on is,
    "Let someone else wear the 'coonskin hat today.
    I'm going to wait for a settlement with some indoor plumbing.
    "

I mean we've had 7 RCs in the last, what 3 weeks? (at least it seems so :)

And the blurb always says
    "no new features -- just bug fixes from RCx-1"

Now that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling -- does it you?
Does it to anyone?

I had RC1 downloaded and before I could get around to actually implementing
and testing it RC3 was out.  Then I got that and then RC6 was out.
Literally, I had turned away from reading my e-mail, downloaded RC6,
compiled, installed and was testing it.  When I turned back to the email,
there was the announcement for RC7 !!!  So not 10 minutes after finishing
the install of RC6 I was downloading and compiling RC7.

However, now I know that there will be no new RC releases for 9.1.1, so I
feel very confident that none of us will have any problems with it.
Not :)

Tks          |  BVance at sbm.com
BV           |  BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sr. Tech. Consultant,    SBM
Vox 770-623-3430         11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429         Duluth, GA 30097-1511

> One of the first reasons I didn't go with BIND9 was that $GENERATE wasn't
> supported (or so I was led to believe).  Give me a break.

Don't believe everything you hear. $GENERATE has been supported from the
first 9.1.0 beta.

> I don't want to go backwards when upgrading.  I thought, "What else is
> missing?  I don't have to time to investigate it and make
> work-arounds."

Amazing, you did not test it. I'm sorry, but how can you agree with Doug
on this, without having hands-on experience with BIND 9. Now I understand
his point of view, not that I agree with his view.

> Now, I *have* gone to rc7 on my home Linux box, but am confronted with
some
> DDNS and nsupdate issues that I must take time to investigate and iron
out.

Thats very good. If you have any obstacles, don't throw it out of the
window, but just ask. Some "none-backwardness" was done for a reason.

> That's OK at home, and I'm doing it just to see what will be
> encountered in prep for the final move, but I cannot imagine going to
> 9 in a large production environment right now. Of course, I hope that
> everyone doing so has a good experience.

BTW, I did not encourage anyone to drop BIND 8 like a hot potato, but just
wanted people to realise... no wait, let me just quote myself:

  "I hope everyone realises that the development of BIND 8 is dead. No new
  features, No new RR records (No A6/DNAME for instance), No full DNSSEC
  implementation. The only thing that's done for BIND 8 is an occasional
  bug fix. To keep up and running with new DNS features, as in DNSSEC/IPv6
  and all that jazz, I suggest people to move to BIND-9."

As I said, if you want new features, bind-9. If you want continue
operating with what works for you, and you don't need new features: "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it".

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum