Should admin tool depend on 9.1, or stick with 8.2?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Mar 27 22:47:42 UTC 2001

>>>>> "jrusoff" == jrusoff  <jrusoff at apple.com> writes:

    jrusoff> Apple is looking at writing some frontend tools for DNS
    jrusoff> admin.  Realistically, we probably can't support both 8.2
    jrusoff> and 9.1, so we are wondering if it is sensible to move
    jrusoff> forward and build the tool to work with 9.1, or to stay
    jrusoff> with 8.x.  My guess is that most people are reluctant to
    jrusoff> migrate to Bind 9 because of database migration
    jrusoff> headaches.  Are there other performance or compatibility
    jrusoff> issues that folks see holding back the widespread use of
    jrusoff> Bind 9?

Use the standards in RFC1035 that BIND9 demands. It strictly enforces
the zone file format defined in RFC1035 and its successors. BIND8
doesn't. One day you and your users will be glad you did that. If your
tools encourage bad/illegal practices, the name server software will
get its revenge. BTW there are no "compatibility issues" with zone
file format between BIND9 and BIND8. If the files are set up
correctly, both BIND versions will accept them. If they're not set up
properly, some versions of BIND8 will tolerate or ignore the
errors. BIND9 won't.