NS record question

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Mar 27 23:49:39 UTC 2001

At 3:01 PM -0800 3/27/01, Bill Manning wrote:

>  	v8 is nowhere near 2million lines of code. v9 on the other hand...

	Marcus Ranum used to tell a story in his talks about security
regarding his work with the Firewall Toolkit.  The first version came
out right at six hundred lines of code, and he believed it to be
trivially small enough to be provable to be secure.  He showed it to
Bill Cheswick, and Ches found something like five bugs on visual
inspection alone.

	Even with a trivially small program, it's "non-trivial" to prove
the program to be correct.  With larger programs, it's simply
impossible.  If you care about writing programs securely, you have to
use other methods -- such as having programs applying semi-paranoid
checking to all their inputs, and if anything looks the slightest bit
amiss, then log everything possible and exit.

>  	still, the v9 "failure" mode will make a dandy DOS vector
>  	someday.

	Yeah, there's a lot of possibility of serious DOS problems,
that's for sure.  This is why I'd like to see it being used by the
root nameservers -- if they feel that it is sufficiently robust for
use in this kind of environment, then it's probably robust enough for
me.

>  	True. But the programing model is different enough that
>  	many are still on the fence wrt jumping into the v9 paradigm

	The programming model is the least of the things that anyone
should be concerned about.

	IMO, this is not the real problem keeping people on the fence --
the real issue is that so many people have trouble upgrading to
BINDv9 as a result from their own ignorance of properly formatted
zone files, configuration files, etc....  If they followed the
directions and fixed these problems before they upgraded their
production nameservers, this wouldn't be a problem.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */